5 Health Benefits of Pumpkin
A favorite fall-time treat, pumpkin has been getting a bad rap lately for being associated mainly with fatty pies and sugar-packed coffee drinks. But there are plenty of fun, healthy ways to enjoy pumpkin as well! Some of my favorite recipes are listed below.
First, though, let’s talk about WHY pumpkin is so great for us! I know you’re busy and excited to move on to eating, so I’ll keep this short and sweet!
1. Keeps eyesight sharp via high vitamin A content.
2. Helps maintain healthy weight. Its high fiber content keeps our tummies feeling satisfied with a relatively low number of calories (as long as it’s not combined with a lot of sugar or fat!).
3. Studies have shown it aids in cancer prevention via the antioxidant beta-carotene. It’s important to note that FOOD sources are shown to help more than supplemental/pill forms.
4. Great post-workout food for restoring electrolyte balance and muscle recovery!
5. Provides the immunity boosting benefits of vitamin C!
It’s amazing to me that ALL of that is packed into a single serving of creamy, earthy, vibrant pumpkin puree. Here are some of my favorite healthy pumpkin recipes & serving ideas for you to try. These are great for kids and adults of all ages! Enjoy!
Pumpkin-Pie Flax Smoothie
Me & the kids slurped up every last drop of this super smoothie at breakfast this morning! This combines all the benefits of pumpkin with the protein & superfood power of Shakeology (learn more about that HERE).
Best part – it was ready in just 2 minutes!
- Pumpkin-Pear Baby Puree
- Pumpkin-Banana Baby Puree
- Add pumpkin puree to cooked plain oatmeal for a flavorful nutrition boost!
- Mix 1/2 c. pumpkin puree with 1 tbsp. pure maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon; use as a dip for sliced pears or apples! Me & my kiddos love this easy afternoon snack.
What’s your family’s favorite healthy way to enjoy pumpkin? Share in the comments below!
For MORE healthy pumpkin recipes & serving ideas – ALL whole-grain, low-fat, and naturally sweetened without refined sugar!!! –
Get my cookbook!
NOW AVAILABLE! Click HERE for details!